The Fort Myers Police Department has joined the free Neighbors app by Ring to provide the City of Fort Myers with real-time, local crime and safety information. The Neighbors network already has millions of users and has been instrumental in catching package thieves, stopping burglaries, and keeping neighborhoods safe.
Residents can text fortmyersfl to 555888 from their smartphone to download the Neighbors app for free on iOS and Android and use the app to; join their neighborhood, share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts; and receive real-time safety alerts from their neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team.
“This program, made possible through the Neighbors app and the Ring team, is an exciting development which allows our city to engage in crime and safety communication in a way that is free, anonymous and user-friendly from any smartphone device,” said Chief Derrick Diggs of the FMPD. “There are already thousands of participants at the local level and millions nationwide and we look forward to participating,” he added.
Jamie Siminoff, Chief Inventor and Founder of Ring said: “We’re excited to have FMPD join Neighbors to keep their community up-to-date on local crime and safety information. Over the past few years we have learned that, when neighbors, the Ring team and law enforcement all work together, we can create safer communities. Neighbors is meant to facilitate real-time communication between these groups, while maintaining neighbor privacy first and foremost. By bringing security to every neighbor with the free Neighbors app, Fort Myers can stay on top of crime and safety alerts as they happen.”
How It Works
- Text fortmyersfl to 555888 or from your smartphone to download the app for free on iOS and Android.
- Opt-in to join your neighborhood.
- Customize the geographic area you want to receive notifications for (users must verify where they are located and cannot participate in other neighborhoods).
- Receive real-time alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team that inform of crime and safety alerts as they happen.
- View local crime and safety posts via a live feed or interactive map.
- Share text updates, photos and videos taken on any device, including Ring’s home security devices.
- Work with your community to make neighborhoods safer.
Neighbors is a neighborhood watch app that provides real-time, local crime and safety information. Download the free Neighbors app (iOS/Android), join your neighborhood, and use the app to: view neighborhood activity; share crime and safety-related videos, photos, and text-based posts; and receive real-time safety alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team. For more information visit www.ring.com/neighbors.